Title of the Session
UNDP Special Session “The Role of ICT in Urban Planning and Urban Services Delivery”
Time and Venue
14 June 2015, Marriott Hotel Zamalek – 2:30 am-4:00 pm
The United Nations Development Programme in Egypt (UNDP) has been supporting the Government of Egypt in its efforts to improve the delivery of public services and to foster socioeconomic development through the use of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) since 1998. As ICT enables the government to meet its objectives faster, more effectively, and less costly, UNDP has been promoting the use of ICT in its different areas of work including the development of forward-thinking urban and rural areas. UNDP is committed to continue to support the socioeconomic development of Egypt by enabling the design of smarter cities that can offer a better quality of life for their residents while being more sustainable and cost efﬁcient. On the occasion of the First Egypt Urban Forum, UNDP organizes this session to discuss on the role of ICT in Urban Planning and Urban Service Delivery with the aim of providing alternative and innovative visions for the development of Egyptian cities of the future. In the beginning, the invited panel speakers will present their respective perspectives on the role of ICT in Urban Planning and Urban Service Delivery based on their relevant work.
The aim of the Panel is to discuss:
- How is ICT true to the betterment of Urban Development and Urban Service Delivery?
- What are the bottlenecks in utilizing ICT in Urban Development and Urban Service Delivery at the national level (especially rural and remote areas, as well as slums), and what are the suggestions to tackle these challenges?
- How can we establish a necessary cooperative network among different entities in order to take full advantage of ICT in Urban Planning and Urban Service Delivery?
- 5-min presentation by each speaker
- Panel Discussion
- Plenary Discussion/ Q&A including the audience
Member of the Presidential Advisory Council for Community Development
National Director of ICT Trust Fund
Citizenship Lead, Microsoft
Amr Abdel Aziz
Founder & CEO of Crowd Dynamix
Moderator: Sherif Morad Abdelmohsen
Assistant Professor of Digital Media and Design Computing in Architecture Department of Construction and Architectural Engineering, The American University in Cairo