Title of the Session
The Local Government’s Role in Urban Development
Time and Venue
14 June 2015, Marriott Hotel Zamalek – 2:30 pm-4:00 pm
As Egypt is expecting a rapid urbanization in the coming thirty years, local government is expected to play a major role in managing the urbanization process, insuring the provision of needed services and infrastructure, and enhancing local economic and urban development. This session discusses the current mandate and competencies that should enable them to meet the needs of their communities and sustainable urban development. It also discusses the needed reform and institutional change, decentralization in particular, to empower local governments.
The aim of the Panel is to discuss:
- What are the possible ways/ paths that could be undertaken to empower local government in Egypt? Is Egypt ready for electing the city manager or the governor?
- How do you envision the relationship between local and central government in a decentralized structure? What would be the role of the central government?
- What is the role of local governments and municipalities in Lebanon? What are the challenges, limitations, obstacles and opportunities they face to fully contribute to urban development?
- What are the most important obstacles hindering the move towards a decentralized framework? What type of reform needs to be undertaken?
- What will be the changes that the local government would undertake within a decentralized local government?
- What is the government role in enhancing local government role in tacking informal urban development?
Prof. .Samir Abdelwahab
Mr. Mohamed Abdel Kader – Governor of Qalubya
Dr. Mohamed Al Baba – Mayor of Saida
Mr. Mohamed Ali -Governor of Luxor
Dr. Khaled Abdelhalim – Director, Local Administration Reform Unit, Ministry of Local Development
Eng. Suzane Nader – Ministry of State of Urban Renewal and Informal Settlements
Dr. Ahmed Attia Ashor
Moderator: Dr. Mohamed Nada – Program Manager and Advisor on Decentralization Urban Policies, Governance and Legislations Program, UN-Habitat Egypt